1 the phenomenon of not permitting the passage of electromagnetic radiation [ant: transparency]
2 incomprehensibility resulting from obscurity of meaning [syn: opaqueness]
3 the quality of being opaque to a degree; the degree to which something reduces the passage of light [syn: opaqueness] [ant: clearness]
Opacity or opaque refers to something difficult to see through or perceive. It can refer to:
- Opacity (optics), the degree to which light is blocked.
- Opaque context, a linguistic context in which it is not possible to substitute co-referential terms while guaranteeing the preservation of truth values.
- Opaque data, in computer programming, data that can only be manipulated through an external interface, see magic cookie
- Opaque (restaurant), a restaurant where the dining room is pitch black. - http://www.darkdining.com/
- Opaque travel inventory, the market of selling unsold travel inventory at a discounted price.
opacity in Afrikaans: W.W.Opaciteit
opacity in German: Opak
opacity in Spanish: Opacidad
opacity in Esperanto: Opakeco
opacity in Ido: Opaka
opacity in Dutch: Opaciteit
opacity in Norwegian: Opasitet
opacity in Portuguese: Opacidade
opacity in Simple English: Opacity
abstruseness, adiaphanousness, ambiguity, amorphousness, asininity, blockishness, boobishness, boorishness, bovinity, cloddishness, cloudiness, crassness, crudeness, dark, darkness, denseness, density, dim-wittedness, dimness, doltishness, dull-wittedness, dullardism, dullness, dumbness, duncery, equivocation, fog, fogginess, fuzziness, grossness, hebetude, impenetrability, impermeability, imperviousness to light, indefiniteness, indeterminateness, indistinctness, intransparency, lethargy, loutishness, lumpishness, mist, mistiness, mumbo jumbo, murk, murkiness, mystification, ninnyism, oafdom, oafishness, obfuscation, obscurantism, obscuration, obscurity, obtuseness, opaque, opaqueness, perplexity, reconditeness, roil, roiledness, shapelessness, simpletonianism, slowness, sluggishness, sottishness, stolidity, stupidity, thick-headedness, thick-wittedness, thickness, turbidity, turbidness, unclarity, unclearness, unintelligibility, unplainness, unteachability, vagueness, wrongheadedness, yokelism